The Possibilities of Stem Cell In Treating Back Pain
As we age, we are susceptible to many bodily aches and pains. One of the most common pains that we experience is in the posterior part of our bodies. I am talking about our backs, specifically the lumbar region.
Apparently, the cause of the pain is due to the weakening of our spinal discs. That is caused by overuse, but it can also be due to a genetic predisposition to the condition as well.
Because back pains are quite common, there are some common treatments that are used to help alleviate the pain. Some will involve injections that contain anti-inflammatory agents and epidural steroid injections. There are also some medications that will block some nerve roots to avoid pain.
Although it does alleviate the pain that we feel, the use of steroids, especially if you frequently get these treatments, may cause some serious side effects. And, overuse will also result in less potency as well. In other words, you will need more injections to experience that same relief if you’ve abused such treatments.
Now the question is, “is there a way to treat back pains without the use of steroid injections?” Well, there is and it is by using your own stem cells!
Stem Cell Injections to Help Treat Back Pain
In Stem Cell Injections or therapy, your own stem cells will be used to treat your back pain. There are two primary sources of adult stem cells in your body: your adipose (fat) tissue and your bone marrow.
In most cases, doctors will use the former since it will not require any invasive procedures (i.e. surgery) to get the necessary cells.
Before you are eligible to take stem cell injections, you will be given a battery of tests first. Here are some things you need to know:
- Stem cell injections are usually only given for people who are chronic back pain sufferers. This means that you’re only given the treatment if you suffer from such pain for more than 3 months.
- The entire procedure does not require surgery at all. The doctor will use a liposuction machine to extract the stem cells from your adipose tissue found in your stomach area. Once it is harvested, it is concentrated by using a separate machine and then it is placed inside an injection. After which, the stem cells will be injected in the affected area to provide long-lasting relief.
- Recovery can last anywhere between 3-6 months. However, you can experience the effects in as little as a few days after the procedure.
Although it is tempting to get stem cell injections instead of getting steroid medications, there are a few caveats you should be aware of:
- Make sure that the doctor who is going to do the procedure knows what they’re doing. Ask for their credentials and ask if they have done a similar procedure before (and how many times they’ve done it).
- Ask if your condition is best treated by stem cells. This is only administered for people with chronic back pain, although there are some cases where acute back pain sufferers are still given this treatment.